3.27.2006

Creativity

I am creative . . . for a living. But, when I am expected to be creative and get it done, like noon on a Monday with a deadline looming, I can't. When it doesn't make any sense for me to be creative I am. Like 6 in the morning, or 10 at night. The problem with being creative at 10 at night is that I am not a night person. So the design process starts at 10 to whenever - and I am ticked about it pretty much the whole time. I guess that just plays into my Drama Queen roll I have been coming to terms with lately. The problem with 6 AM is obvious, I am hardly ever awake to capture it. Some days I purposefully go into work early to do just that - catch that early morning wind. It is usually gone by 8, the time I normally go in for work. The 10 PM buzz can last for an hour, or 5 - I haven't quite figured it out yet. I have been doing this for quite some time, you would think I would be able to figure it out by now. But the one thing I have figured out - I can't when I am suppose to - that is going to reek havoc on my time schedule if this design business keeps going the way it is going this spring. By the end I will be working 4 AM to 9 AM, going home and sleeping and working 7 PM to 12 AM - a good 10 hour day, just not the norm. Question . . . if I make those my hours, will I be able to be creative then or will the creativity come between 9 AM and 7 PM? The world may never know.

I can say this: depending on how long this late night buzz lasts, I could make it though all the 10,000 Maniacs a friend let me borrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

would that be all 40,000 Maniacs? Nice to hear you're joining my workday and staying up nights.. pretty soon we'll have a movement.. folk songs will be written.. no wait.. not.. well, maybe at least your designs will get done.. nad