9.27.2008

Great Night Pocket

For my birthday (3 months ago) my roommates (great friends) bought me tickets to see Jim Gaffigan tonight (6 months ago). I have not watched any YouTube clips of any late-night shows he may have been a guest, because I wanted to hear his new jokes for the first time live. Jim did not disappoint. The night started off a little rough with a traffic jam holding us up and us walking in the door at 8 - the start of the show. Luckily they don't usually start on time. The opening act was great: Rich Brooks. Check him out if you get a chance. Funny guy with a great outlook on life and good delivery. Jim delivered as well with great bits about camping, fast food, bowling (using the word MOIST), beds, kids, circumcision . . . And classics like bacon and hot pockets. The whole place was alive and laughed non stop from the moment he walked on stage until he walked off (after the encore). I do have one complaint about the night - the people sitting on either side of us. On one side you had the show talker. She talked non stop - agreeing with Jim on every joke, and even finishing his sentences. On the other side was a screamer, and I'm just going to leave that one at that. After the show he did a meet and greet. I was sceptical of the whole thing. Wondering if he would be nice on the outside, but really be a jerk. But he shook hands, took pictures, and signed autographs for everyone there who wanted one. He even seemed almost shy about it, like he couldn't believe that all of us would want to meet him. When Kim told him that we loved to watch him in My Boys, it was almost like he couldn't believe we knew that show existed and that we watched it. He signed my CD "Happy B-Day Pocket" so I will hence forth be referred to as Pocket, and will only answer by that name. Just kidding, I will also respond to Miss. Pocket. Rich was also very kind, and I appreciated the way they both dealt with the mob. It would be a lot easier for them to just do shows and allow only certain people back stage - but they take the time to meet everyone that wants to, and that is neat.

If you are looking for a clean show, check them out. Even when he was talking about sex I wasn't embarrassed. I felt like I could have been watching with my grandmother and not been uncomfortable with what he was saying (of course she can barely hear . . . so).

Anyway, annoying fan picture to follow.

No comments: