5.26.2010

On The Water

Background: I am working in the Zoology department this summer helping another masters student on their thesis. She has money in her budget to pay someone to help her collect data . . . I do not. Her research is something about nutrient loading in lakes and that consists of driving out to 25 or so lakes over the course of the summer, getting in a boat, going out to the middle, taking sediment and lake bottom samples and driving home. Yesterday was our practice run at Sooner Lake near Stillwater.

Actual Blog: A few minutes before 5am I got the call. Superman died. When you are a kid the adults in your life are sometimes seen as superhuman with their size, their power, and the way other people act when they walk in the room. I have several superheroes in my life, and yesterday one went home. My grandad was bigger than life, fishing, days on the boat water skiing, solving the worlds problems, sail boating, strong opinions, life lessons, strong hands, big love. I didn't really think about it much yesterday, I didn't really let myself. The funny thing is, at the end of the day I did the very thing that I remember most about him, I went out on the water. No skiing, or fishing, just boating. The end of the day, calm water, just boating. I think that was the best way to celebrate his life - and I didn't even set out to live my day that way.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Sorry for your loss. I know you have talked about him before and he sounded like such a neat guy. I think that was a great way o celebrate his life.

Miss you and praying for your family during this time.

Rachael M. said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Kate. I'll be praying for you and your family.

Impy said...

a lovely tribute to your grandfather. the lake thing sounds a bit interesting! i wish i knew more about it.

val