1.01.2006

New Year - a reflection of the past

An Email I sent out today about my year - most of you have recieved it, so you are getting it all again!

Dear Friends:

It is a new year and I feel compelled to write to all of you. This is kind of like a Christmas letter, but I don’t do Christmas letters – you all know me well enough to know I don’t do things conventionally.

The past year held quite a few changes and growing opportunities. I am still working with Poynter Landscape (www.poynterlandscape.com). It was a challenging year – it was my first spring with the company, and my first look at what I was capable of. I say see what I am capable of because many times over the last 2 years I have sold myself short, thinking I could never do “this or that”. Due to the extended absence of my immediate boss I was able to do those things I never thought I could do. Experiencing his job first hand helped re-light the fire that has been dying for about a year – seeing all the possibilities that lay before me there and the benefit I can be to them and that they can be for me.

Outside of work I have been involved with a group trying to get a youth center open here in St. Louis. Something I have been dreaming about for around 3 years – a place for skate boarders and BMX bikers, a place for kids who are looked upon as a lost cause because of how they dress or how they chose to spend their free time. There is currently a center like that in Joplin (www.thebridgejoplin.com) and I am working with a group here joining Joplin (www.thebridgestlouis.com). The group is wonderful and we get together, not only to work toward our common goal, but to spend time growing together as a group.

Other than that sort of thing I don’t really know what to report. I am sure you don’t want to read a really long letter about nothing (even if there was once a great show about nothing). I still have Addie. She has settled well into the house and loves going to the dog park – when I take the time to drive out there. I spent the year reading way too many books, watching way too many movies – but that is normal. So onto the top 5 . . .

Top 5 Things (Or Thoughts) That Happened In 2005:
1. Realizing that maybe squirrels could band together and take over the world, causing a rising panic within me when I see one (or watch the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).
2. Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise – come on she is my age and has my name, that is just wrong.
3. Having 3 flat tires in one year – I think it might be the 8th sign of the Apocalypse
4. Realizing I can do things that I never thought possible – so give some things a chance
5. Snow – and that I can drive in it because in Missouri they have more than one plow per town.

No comments: